To help our clients create a "Quality Life Plan" allowing them to plan and control their financial future.
Financial & Economic Brief - December 17th, 2014
• U.S. Industrial Production Rises - U.S. industrial production rose 1.3% last month, the most since May 2010, beating the median forecast of 0.7%.
• OPEC Not Cutting Production - Suhail Al-Mazrouei, energy minister for the United Arab Emirates, said that even if prices fall below $40 a barrel, OPEC is not planning to cut oil production.
• Change in Fed Policy This Week? - The Fed’s policy-setting committee will decide whether they will make a change to one of their “critical” policy statements that will permit interest rate increases in 2015.
Financial & Economic Brief - December 10th, 2014
• Merck Acquires Cubist Pharmaceuticals - Merck & Co. will buy Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc. in a $9.5 billion deal, including net debt.
• November Jobs Up - According to the November jobs report, 70% of U.S. industries and 321,000 jobs were added in November.
• Oil Prices Continue to Fall - Crude oil fell another $2 a barrel to $63.72, a new five-year low, founded upon predictions that surplus would keep building until 2015.
Financial & Economic Brief - December 3rd, 2014
• In-Store Weekend Sales Down - According to The National Retail Federation (NRF) shoppers spent $380.95 in stores over the holiday weekend compared to $407.02 last year.
• U.S. Stocks Fall - Due to Apple Inc. and other technology shares falling and data showing Chinese manufacturing slowing, U.S. stocks fell.
• Oil Prices Lowest in 5 Years - The cost of a barrel of crude oil fell below $65 as recent economic data by Markit confirmed a slowdown in manufacturing in Europe and China.
Financial & Economic Brief - November 26th, 2014
• Confidence Grows in Global Economy - Figures indicate there is improvement in the U.S. economy, the European Central Bank pledged to raise inflation quickly, and China lowered lending rates.
• German Morale Rebounds - The German economy, the largest in Europe, is gaining energy after averting a recession in the third quarter of 2014.
• A Part-Time Economy - According to CNNMoney’s analysis of data from the U.S. Labor Department, California is the hardest state for part-time workers to find full-time jobs.
Financial & Economic Brief - November 12th, 2014
• Gas Prices Fall, Spending Increases - The average price of regular unleaded gas has fallen to $2.99 a gallon from $3.70 this summer, below $3.00 for the first time in four years.
• Glass Half Full or Half Empty? - The upside of the economy is that unemployment is at a six year low, gas is under $3.00 a gallon, and job growth is the best since 1999.
• Russia Cuts Forecasts - The Russian Central bank is forecasting three years of economic stagnation, cutting its forecasts down to near zero.
Financial & Economic Brief - October 29th, 2014
• Fed Will Likely Wait to Hike Rates - After an unstable month in the financial markets and a scheduled two-day meeting this week, the Fed will likely continue to wait before hiking interest rates.
• Euro Bank Audit Results - The Eurozone economy continues to struggle and fears have increased that multinational company profits and revenues are at risk.
• Consumer-Directed Health Plans Growing - More and more employers are offering consumer-directed health plans that come with high deductibles of $1,500 for individual coverage.
Gateway Financial Advisors Inc.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596